Applying to the Program
The Western Medical Innovation Fellowship (MIF) program was established in 2015. This first-of-its kind program in Canada immerses highly talented young scientists, engineers, and clinicians in a training and research heavy environment with the goal of developing future health care leaders and innovators of world-class medical technologies. The MIF program provides opportunities for trainees to develop leadership through interdisciplinary experience and runs in partnership with Western’s BrainsCAN and WORLDiscoveries.
Fellows build an extensive network of contacts within the med tech ecosystem of London and Ontario as well as gain experience assessing opportunities, inventing therapies, and strategizing for the clinical, regulatory, reimbursement and financing activities necessary to develop a commercially viable product. After their 10.5 months in the Program, fellows thrive in a variety of pursuits, including starting their own companies, leadership positions with early-stage to large, multi-national medical device manufacturers, joining design & development service providers, research/teaching positions at academic institutions, and clinical practice.
- Work closely with clinicians at London Health Sciences Centre and St. Joseph’s Health Care London
- Identify unmet clinical needs, invent and test prototype solutions
- Invent and test prototype solutions
- Generate high quality intellectual property with a goal of commercialization
- Highly motivated team player
- Evidence of creativity and innovation
- MD, PhD or relevant industry experience
- Monthly salary
- Use of first class engineering and medical facilities
- Access to top MDs, PhDs and industry leaders in the med tech ecosystem of London and Ontario
How to apply
Applications for the next cohort are open for 2022 on Working at Western. Search for job ID 24830. Please complete and submit the online application with supporting documents (cover letter, CV, essay and references) on the Western University website. Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.
- Cover Letter
- Address your letter to the Medical Innovation Fellowship Program Director.
- Upload your cover letter using the link entitled “Cover Letter”, in the attachments section of the application.
- Curriculum Vitae
- In addition to education and work history, please include any unique experiences or accomplishments.
- Upload your CV using the link entitled “Resume/CV”, in the attachments section of the application.
- Written Essay (Maximum of 750 words)
- Begin by briefly describing your background, what motivates and drives you. Also, describe something you have built or created. What was the outcome of that effort? What did you take from that experience?
- Finally, discuss a situation when you were working on a team and you faced significant challenges.
- What was your role in the team? What were the specific actions taken to meet the challenge as an individual and as a team? What was the final outcome?
- Title your document as MIF2022_Essay_LastName (e.g. MIF2022_Essay_Johnson)
- Additional documents can be attached after submitting the application by accessing the “My Activities” page and uploading documents or they can be emailed to email@example.com
- Please include a minimum of three references.
- Make sure to include each person’s phone number, email address, and your relationship
- Upload your list of references using the link within the online application “References” section.
- Please note: The references should be able to speak to your research, collaborative and interpersonal skills.
SPECIAL NOTE: Please submit all documents in PDF format.
- Applications accepted until positions are filled
- Interviews with take place in March, 2022
- Please direct questions regarding this application process to firstname.lastname@example.org
Live Information Sessions
Want to learn more about the MIF? We will be hosting live information sessions where you can chat with the Interim Program Director.
Monday, January 31 at 12:00pm EST / 9:00am PST. Register here:
Monday, January 31 at 8:00pm EST / 5:00pm PST. Register here:
Tuesday, February 1 at 5:00pm EST / 2:00pm PST. Register here:
Friday, February 4 at 12:00pm EST / 9:00am PST. Register here: