Applying to the Program
The Western Medical Innovation Fellowship (MIF) program was established in 2015. This first-of-its kind program in Canada immerses highly talented young scientists, engineers, and clinicians in a training and research heavy environment with the goal of developing future health care leaders and innovators of world-class medical technologies. The MIF program provides opportunities for trainees to develop leadership through interdisciplinary experience and runs in partnership with Western’s BrainsCAN and WORLDiscoveries.
Fellows build an extensive network of contacts within the med tech ecosystem of London and Ontario as well as gain experience assessing opportunities, inventing therapies, and strategizing for the clinical, regulatory, reimbursement and financing activities necessary to develop a commercially viable product. After their 10.5 months in the Program, fellows thrive in a variety of pursuits, including starting their own companies, leadership positions with early-stage to large, multi-national medical device manufacturers, joining design & development service providers, research/teaching positions at academic institutions, and clinical practice.
- Work closely with clinicians at London Health Sciences Centre and St. Joseph’s Health Care London
- Identify unmet clinical needs, invent and test prototype solutions
- Invent and test prototype solutions
- Generate high quality intellectual property with a goal of commercialization
- Highly motivated team player
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Biosciences, Neurosciences, Computer Science, or related discipline; MD or MBA is preferred
- Research training and/or relevant product development and work experience will be considered with academic experience
- Results-oriented with an ability to handle many tasks while maintaining a high level of individual and team performance
- Monthly salary
- Use of first class engineering and medical facilities
- Access to top MDs, PhDs and industry leaders in the med tech ecosystem of London and Ontario
How to apply
Applications for the next cohort are open for 2023 on Working at Western. Search for job ID 29088. Please complete and submit the online application with supporting documents (cover letter, CV, written responses and references) on the Western University website.
- Cover Letter
- Address your letter to the Medical Innovation Fellowship Program Director, Sarah Hutchison.
- Upload your cover letter using the link entitled “Cover Letter”, in the attachments section of the application.
- Curriculum Vitae
- In addition to education and work history, please include any unique experiences or accomplishments.
- Upload your CV using the link entitled “Resume/CV”, in the attachments section of the application.
- Written Responses – Please submit your written response to accompany letter and CV in 12-point font, double spaced. Applications will be considered as complete only if all three documents are included.
- Why are you interested in the MIF Program at this time – what do you think will make you a good fit and contributor to the program? Please describe your interest and experience in innovation / entrepreneurship and provide examples of your innovation / entrepreneurship experience so far. (Maximum 750 words)
- Do you have any experience in product design or development – if so describe. (Maximum 500 words)
- What skills, attributes and capabilities do you bring to the program that make you a strong team collaborator? Provide examples to illustrate your experience as a collaborator. (Maximum 500 words)
Note: Do not discuss or disclose any confidential information related to intellectual property you have developed if it has not been properly protected.
- Title your document as MIF2023_WrittenResponse_LastName (e.g. MIF2023_WrittenResponse_Johnson)
- Additional documents can be attached after submitting the application by accessing the “My Activities” page and uploading documents or they can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include a minimum of three references.
- Make sure to include each person’s phone number, email address, and your relationship
- Upload your list of references using the link within the online application “References” section.
- Please note: The references should be able to speak to your research, collaborative and interpersonal skills.
SPECIAL NOTE: Please submit all documents in PDF format.
- Applications are being accepted at this time and will close on February 20th, 2023.
- There will be a mandatory Brainstorming Workshop taking place on March 18th, 2023 for advancing applicants.
- Please direct questions regarding this application process to email@example.com